nanog mailing list archives

Re: Range using single-mode SFPs across multi-mode fiber

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:53:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011, Keegan Holley wrote:

2011/12/14 oliver rothschild <orothschild () gmail com>
How did you end up with a MM run this long?  SX optics are only rated at
500 meters at best.  Even with mode conditioning jumpers more the 1km is a
risk.  I'm glad it held up during testing though.  Just out of curiosity
did you purchase dark from a provider?  Is it inside of a building?

Legacy 10baseFL/100baseFX/FDDI can run fairly long distances over OM1. In the past I've run 100baseFX over OM1 runs with multiple cross-connects, out to about 2 km.

jms