nanog mailing list archives

Re: Range using single-mode SFPs across multi-mode fiber

From: Keegan Holley <keegan.holley () sungard com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:38:47 -0500

2011/12/14 oliver rothschild <orothschild () gmail com>

Thanks to all who responded to my clumsy first question (both on
matters of etiquette and technology). The group I work with (we are a
small project acting as a last mile provider) was in the midst of
deploying this solution when I posed the question. We put the single
mode Juniper SFPs (LX) on to a run of approximately 1670 meters.

How did you end up with a MM run this long?  SX optics are only rated at
500 meters at best.  Even with mode conditioning jumpers more the 1km is a
risk.  I'm glad it held up during testing though.  Just out of curiosity
did you purchase dark from a provider?  Is it inside of a building?