nanog mailing list archives

Re: Juniper <-> Cisco IPv6 BGP peering

From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 11:38:44 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Randy Carpenter
<rcarpen () network1 net> wrote:
Tried that. I agree with others that it is an NDP issue. NDP for
the GUA is fine, but just not for the link local. Is there
something that would block only link local by default?

I should add that I have another uplink to a different provider
that works perfectly. The other end is Juniper for that one.

Just to begin with:
0) Does your Juniper device have the neighbor cache entry for Cisco
link-local address? What is the state of the entry?

Sometimes it does, sometimes I can't seem to get it.

Can you get packet capture on both sides?

We have done this.

1) is Cisco sending NS packets?

Yes.

2) is your Juniper receiving them?

It does not appear to. Tracing v6 stuff on juniper seems to be hit or miss.

3) is Juniper device sending anything back?

No. (because of #2)

4) are those NA reaching Cisco?

No. (because of #2)

Any switch on the path?

It is an L2 circuit that rides a couple of different pieces of gear before it lands at the other side.

[lazy mode on] I'd also suggest:
 - debug ipv6 nd on cisco
 - checking for bugs for IOS and JunOS versions you are using