nanog mailing list archives

Re: What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:38:42 -0400

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Mark Keymer <mark () viviotech net> wrote:
I myself have a cable provider at home that I use. And I find it quite
frustrating to call and report issues in there network, because the
people in the call center have you do the same things every time and are
not very technical.

Mark,

You think you have it bad? A couple years ago I called my cable
Internet provider when my line broke. I won't name them because they
since changed their system to something more intelligent. Anyway, the
phone tree forced you to go through automated diagnosis before if
would connect you to a live person.

The system was in a funky state where it thought it saw my modem but
didn't. So, for 45 minutes I was stuck in a computer-automated loop of
"Power cycle your modem. Okay I see your modem. Your modem isn't
working. Power cycle your modem."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside comĀ  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004