nanog mailing list archives

Re: US internet providers hijacking users' search queries

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:57:10 -0400

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Oren Levin <lists () pinetree net> wrote:
On 8/7/11 12:10 PM, Joe Provo wrote:

This is finally something new, and I retract my assertion that the new
scientist got it wrong. Drilling through to actual evidence and details,
rather than descriptions which match previous behavior, we have both
http://www.usenix.org/event/leet11/tech/full_papers/Zhang.pdf (a little
indirect with 'example.com', etc) and
http://www.payne.org/index.php/Frontier_Search_Hijacking (with actual
domains) provide detail on the matter. Cheers! Joe

I noticed that the payne.org link calls out the insertion of an Amazon
affiliate code. Section 7 of the Amazon affiliate agreement
(https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/agreement) appears to
explicitly prohibit payment for this type of traffic.

interesting, one wonders if maybe amazon will 'do the right thing'
(much like they did with wikileaks?) and remove the account's access.