nanog mailing list archives

Re: US internet providers hijacking users' search queries

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 17:52:19 -1000

Chris,

On Aug 8, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
messing with basic plumbing will have unintended consequences, they will be bad.

If the users her WANT to have this experience, there are lots of
in-browser/application methods to achieve this, hijacking DNS at the
resolver is really just NOT the right answer, ever.

See that ship off on the horizon?  It appears to have sailed...

I'm told that non-trivial revenue is being generated by ISPs who are doing this redirection.  As long as that is true,
I suspect it's unlikely pointing out how broken hijacking DNS is will be particularly effective.

Regards,
-drc