nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv4 Address Exhaustion Effects on the Earth

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:24:29 -0700

In the mean while, we've started work on various AQM and buffer
management systems, at www.bufferbloat.net.  SFB (Stochastic Fair
Blue)
went upstream into Linux to aid testing last month, and we have an
implementation of eBDP as well with which we are experimenting.
Wireless is much more of a challenge than the classic internet router
case.  Please come help.

In my context "Wireless" means "mobile" and the challenge there is that
"I lost a packet" doesn't mean "there is congestion".  It most likely
means the user walked in front of a pole, the signal faded briefly, they
dropped a packet and are perfectly fine now.  So in that context, tcp/ip
behaves as if it is seeing congestion when it is really seeing a
momentary loss of connectivity that comes right back as soon as the end
node moves 5 feet to the left.  The right answer there might be
ubiquitous support of ECN and treating packet loss in the absence of ECN
as a connectivity issue and not a congestion issue but we are a long way
from proper ECN support.

I will have another look at the site, it has been a while since I was
there last.

George