nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's 6to4 Relays

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:55:02 -0500

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 20, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Jim Gettys <jg () freedesktop org> wrote:

On 04/20/2011 04:44 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
The best way to make 6to4 diminish has always been and still remains:

   Deploy Native IPv6 Now.

That's a plan and a necessity at this point, but, execution is still somewhat lagging.

Of course, Comcast *is* deploying native IPv6; see, for example,
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2011-January/031624.html
It just takes a while -- and a non-trivial number of zorkmids -- to
do things like replacing all of the non-v6 CPE.

Comcast was not the target of my comment... The networks saying Comcast shouldn't help the rest of the net by
providing open 6to4 relays were the ones I was referring to.

I again applaud Comcast's leadership on IPv6 to the end user, even if they haven't gotten
it to me yet. ;-)

They already have if you can run either 6rd or 6to4 and are a Comcast customer, even if you didn't happen to know
they had.  (Though they do plan to turn off the 6rd hack they were using this summer; their native trial and 6to4
work well enough to not need yet another transition mechanism).

I'm already running IPv6 over 6in4 tunnels to my cool routers. 6rd is not an improvement.

I'm looking forward to the day when Comcast can deliver straight native IPv6 to me.

Their kind offer is to extend availability of their 6to4 relays to others who aren't even Comcast customers...

(Says this reasonably happy participant in Comcast's IPv6 trial; my unhappiness is the state of CPE firmware, not
with how well Comcast's end of things work; I plan to ditch commercial firmware on my home router for OpenWRT
momentarily...)
                               - Jim

lol... The commercial JunOS on my home gateway seems to be working OK.

Owen