nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP next-hop

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:32:13 -0500

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:56:06PM +0100, Heath Jones wrote:

Its interesting, I was heavy into cisco years back and then juniper
for a while. Going back to cisco now is great (always good for me to
keep my exposure up), but there is just so much unclear in it's CLI.
It wasn't until going back that I realised.

I guess they would have to balance keeping the old timers & scripts
etc happy VS bringing in new features that make the output look
different.. Do you keep something that isn't perfect but people know
how to use, or change it and cause more issues than good?

Personally I still can't believe that it's the year 2010, and IOS still
shows routes in classful notation (i.e. if it's in 192.0.0.0/3 and is a
/24, the /24 part isn't displayed because it's assumed to be "Class C").
Of course I say that every year, and so far the only thing that has
changed is the year I say it about.

ps. Juniper has really gone to $h!t lately. There's a website called
glassdoor.com that I found - go look up what employees have to say
about it.. reflects exactly the support we were getting, even as as an
'elite' partner..

Don't get me started, I could complain for days and still not run out of
material, but alas it doesn't accomplish anything. Sadly, many of the
best Juniper people I know are incredibly disaffected, and are leaving
(or have already left) in droves. I think the way I heard it put best
was, "I'm convinced that $somenewexecfromcisco is actually on a secret 5
year mission to come over to Juniper, completely $%^* the company, and
then go back to Cisco and get a big bonus for it". :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras