nanog mailing list archives

Re: Software-based Border Router

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:23:42 -0400

 On 9/29/2010 8:59 AM, Heath Jones wrote:
What's the real-world power consumption and heat like? 455 days shows
some pretty good reliability!
Cheers for the info Curtis
That's a really good question. This is a small 260 watt supermicro short depth (14") 1u system I purchased from tigerdirect. Its roughly the same type of system that barracuda networks would sell you. You can purchase one from newegg with dual core atom 330 processors which would be even lower power for around $414. Its a nothing box and its not even breathing hard. its running on a 100mbps fiber. The speed tests that I've run show it running close to wire speed. It would probably run even better if I were using real server NIC's on it. I'm just using the two on board GB NIC's. It has an available PCI slot.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2220  @ 2.40GHz

Would I run an ISP on it? No. Would I deploy a much more capable box for a more robust environment, absolutely. This particular box is firewalling an insurance company.

--Curtis