nanog mailing list archives

Re: Randy in Nevis

From: John Peach <john-nanog () johnpeach com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:23:10 -0400

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:16:04 -0700
Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

On Sep 29, 2010, at 6:10 AM, John Peach wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:06:02 +0200
Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no> wrote:

John Peach <john-nanog () johnpeach com> writes:

It's common knowledge that 465 is smtps, whatever else IANA might
say.

It's common knowledge that 465 *was* smtps.  A decade ago.  But it
has never gone anywhere, and it is way overdue for an "obsolete"
tag. Everyone actually caring about SMTP over SSL are using
STARTTLS on port 25 and 587.  The faster we kill SMTPS the
better.  Keeping it in current /etc/services and the like is only
going to confuse people.

You obviously don't use a Blackberry with an imap(s) server.....

What does imap(s) have to do with 465/SMTP?

Too early in the morning and I was not advocating maintaining SMTPS.

--
John