nanog mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory requires Microsoft DNS?

From: Darren Pilgrim <nanog () bitfreak org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:50:59 -0700

Phil Regnauld wrote:
Darren Pilgrim (nanog) writes:
Tom Mikelson wrote:
Presently our organization utilizes BIND for DNS services, with the
Networking team administering.  We are now being told by the Systems team
that they will be responsible for DNS services and that it will be changed
over to the Microsoft DNS service run on domain controllers.  The reason
given is that the Active Directory implementation requires the Microsoft DNS
service and dynamic DNS.
Bunk.  At work we have a network of ~1500 computers with over 600 of
them running Windows.  Our nameservers are all BIND, which have
dynamic DNS enabled for updates sent from our 2003 and 2008R2 DCs.
The DCs have no problem creating, updating and deleting the various
RR's they use to publish the domain.  The Systems team folks will
see errors/warnings in the Windows logs because the Windows machines
are unable to set up secure connections to the nameservers and due
to an implementation difference between what BIND accepts and what
Microsoft's OSes send; but in practice these seem to be little more
than noise.

        Agreed.  What about dynamic updates of the client ?  It's usually not
        a problem in this direction (Windows client -> BIND DNS), but as you
        say it won't be secure (GSS-TSIG).

Yes, Windows logs on all 600+ machines have warnings about insecure DNS updates, but they still update. There's effort to delegate the DS subdomain to the DCs just to get rid of the thousands-per-day nonsense.