nanog mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory requires Microsoft DNS?

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:02:34 -0500

On 9/20/2010 9:13 AM, Matlock, Kenneth L wrote:
You MAY be able to duplicate all the records in BIND, but expect random
things to not work, and have to do a bunch of research figuring out what
DNS query it's doing, and what the proper answer is.

The AD server will populate out the necessary records to the dDNS server. I setup an empty base dDNS subdomain and everything was populated out by the AD server. Handles a long list of SRV records, and v4/v6 forwards were automatically populated for both servers and clients.

I have a very basic setup, which works perfectly for my needs. As to if more advanced features are broken by using BIND, I have no idea.

Jack