nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 squatters on the move again?

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:19:08 +0530

Yeah.  This is just the way snowshoe spammers operate - GRE or VPN
tunnels back to a master server, and a /24 full of output points with
throwaway hostnames / reverse dns

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:
I haven't seen that excuse/justification from customers.  What I did see
recently that I have to admit was very slick was a customer who claimed they
were going to be doing a bunch of remote "terminals" in stores VPN'd into
their dedi servers and would be streaming video from the servers to the
clients.  This was of course 99% BS.  There was VPN involved....they used
the dedi servers as VPN endpoints for their spam servers that were hosted
elsewhere.  When we shut them down, there was absolutely nothing
incriminating of spam operations on their servers...and all they had to do
was sign up for service at another hosting company, setup the VPN server,
change the IPs their spam servers VPN to, and they're back in business.
When sales brought me their initial request, I really didn't believe it, but
I didn't have good enough cause to reject it.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)