nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:46:40 -0400

On Oct 12, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Scott Howard wrote:
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:35 AM, iHate SORBS <ihatesorbs () gmail com> wrote:

I am calling on all Network Operators to stand up and stop routing
dnsbl.sorbs.net until that time they can commit to making real changes.

What sort of changes are you suggesting?  Suggesting a block unless they
make undisclosed changes is simply asinine.

I'm no fan of SORBS, but at the end of the day (ignoring the issues like
they had last week) they do what they say they do.

The problem with SORBS is not SORBS itself, but the mail admins that are
stupid enough to use it - or at least stupid enough to use it as a straight
blacklist (as opposed to a scoring blacklist).  Start up a campaign against
those if you like - perhaps an RBL of people who are using the SORBS RBL -
but asking people to stop "routing" a DNS domain just because you don't like
their clearly stated listing criteria simply isn't going to fly.

I kinda-sortta feel like many others who have posted here.  This is a mail thing, not netops.  Grow a pair and post
under your own name.  Is it even on-topic for NANOG?  Etc.

I even started typing a message to the effect of: "even though I don't like SORBS, they should be allowed to publish a
list and let others do as they please".  But then I realized, that is all this anonymous person is asking.  Or at least
it could be.

If "iHate SORBS" wants to create a (another?) list of prefixes which should not be routed, and put SORBS on it, he
(she?) should be allowed, just as SORBS should be allowed to have a list of mail servers SORBS doesn't like.  Then each
operator can decide whether to implement a block based on the list or not.  Your network, your decision.

Of course, I fully expect no one to implement the block.  But that is no reason to deny the ability to create the list.

Now, I feel like quoting Pastor Niemöller so we can end this thread. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick