nanog mailing list archives

Re: New hijacking - Done via via good old-fashioned Identity Theft

From: Tim Franklin <tim () pelican org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 16:12:16 +0000 (GMT)

If i have to wait for 20 minutes for an email, i've started skype
already.. You know what, why don't we simply turn the smtp servers
-off- and use skype and msn for everything... saves electricity :P

By that argument, why don't we turn off the Internet and use SMS for everything?

It may be a bit too late to fix the protocol itself to be real-time
and peer-to-peer again, but this time without spam ofcourse, as the
market has been flooded with better protocols already anyway (the
problem with these however is that they're propriatory and vendor
dependant).

When was email *ever* expected to be real-time?  If you need real time, use IM (the clue is in the "I"), or pick up the
phone.

Part of the beauty of email is that it doesn't require all participants to be connected at the same time, and everyone
can deal with it when it's convenient to *them*, not convenient to the sender.  Use the right communication tool for
the right job.

I can remember email being batch-transferred over dial-up lines, hop-by-hop, and taking hours or even days to cross the
globe - and I'm a long way from being an Internet "old-timer".

Regards,
Tim.