nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 sunset date revised : 2009-02-05

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:36:40 +0000

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com

    ah... but the trick is to only need enough IPv4 in the pool
    to dynamically talk to the Internet.  Native v6 to Native v6
    never has to drop back to the Internet, It uses native v6
    paths.  So the larger the v6 uptake, the fewer Internet addreses
    you'll need to keep around in your pool.

Ok, it wasn't clear in the docs that it was a dynamic translation from
v6 to a smaller pool of v4 IPs, it implied it was a direct translation.

        i think it started out that way.  one of my students
        tweeked DHCP to do the right thing wrt IP assignment
        from the pool (can't use the MAC, must use the v6 address)
        and then dynamic DNS update.  Others have looked at and
        built higher capacity tools - you could ask Charlie Perkins
        about his experiences.  End of the day, this isn't rocket
        science, isn't new, and there are communities of folks who
        have, in their own quiet way, made the switch already.

        for some, a flag day may occur.  I think it will be rare, but
        it could happen.

        for the aware, moving to IPv6 was something we planned on
        and executed over the past few years.  for the less aware,
        they are just waking up and are concerned.  some are still
        sleeping.

        paraphrasing N.Maxwell;  "$Diety does not use the voice of
        thunder when a still small voice will do."

        anyone still not paying attention?  (read the CERNET2 reports
        on the costs of dual-stack...) Native may be your best long
        term bet.

--bill