nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

From: Ren Provo <ren.provo () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:55:32 -0500

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/11/comcast-comments-on-level-3.html

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc2 () dcrocker net> wrote:

On 11/29/2010 2:40 PM, Rettke, Brian wrote:

Essentially, the question is who has to pay for the infrastructure to
support
the bandwidth requirements of all of these new and booming streaming
ventures. I can understand both the side taken by Comcast, and the side of
the content provider, but I don't think it's as simple as the slogans
spewed
out regarding "Net Neutrality", which has become so misused and abused as
term that I don't think it has any credulous value remaining.

I find it helpful to distinguish "participant neutrality" from "service
neutrality".  The first says that you and I pay the same rate.  The second
says the my email costs the same as my voip.

As described, it appears that Level3 is being singled out, which makes for
participant non-neutrality.  On the other hand, if Comcast were charging
itself for xfinity traffic, this might qualify as service non-neutrality
(assuming there is a plausible meaning to "charging itself"...

d/

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking