nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: VM slicing and dicing

From: Charles N Wyble <charles () knownelement com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:04:29 -0800

On 11/9/2010 2:38 PM, Brandon Kim wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input today on this topic. I wanted to recap with a list of sites that everyone has suggested
both online and offline for FYI purposes.

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/default.aspx

I haven't used system center, but have been very happy with Microsofts other management offerings. In particular the combination of WMI and Active Directory is pretty slick. Now days with W2k8 Server Core and VM friendly licensing, the Microsoft OS density on a hardware node is starting to approach Linux density levels.

http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve

I use Proxmox exclusively and am very happy with it. It's a great product. You might need to do a bit of CLI work if you want to support multiple VLANS or other slightly advanced features. I'm lazy but I might get around to patching the web UI at some point to support the stuff I do manually. The OpenVZ docs are very clear and the process is pretty trivial to do on the CLI.

http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com/

This has received some serious attention from me, but it seemed a bit heavy on the startup requirements and it wanted to own my entire infrastructure. Proxmox was just plug and play and reduced the effort to deploy virtual machines. Anyone here using openqrm? How demanding is it? Can you just utilize the pieces you want? These days most users have existing systems in place to handle storage, security, monitoring, os configuration management etc. I guess if you are a completely new startup, then OpenQRM might make sense.

http://www.openstack.org/

Ah yes. The new comer of sorts. Anyone looked at this in detail? Beta deployed it?