nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS path question.

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 07:53:04 -0600

On 11/11/2010 6:31 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:

Speaking of prepends, what's the community opinion on prepending someone
else's ASN on your routes for TE purposes if you're announcing routes
you don't want certain AS's to see, but don't have a communities knob
that works for those networks? I was pretty negative on the idea until I
was in the situation of having a working knob taken away. Nobody's
complaining about it...probably not even noticing it.

Per usual, I'm some people look on it with distaste, though I feel that is an emotional response and not a technical viewpoint, as it is a perfect way of handling hinge case workarounds that are usually temporary in nature.

Jack