nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS path question.

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:35:50 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Scott Weeks wrote:

Why did that make you feel safe? Other than a bug, and ignorance of BGP, what is unsafe about a lotta prepends?

Ignorance of BGP? There's a known cisco bug that causes BGP session resets when as as-path length exceeds 255. I've been running with bgp maxas-limit 75 for years as a "just in case there are other bugs & I find it very hard to believe anyone legitimately needs an as-path length anywhere near that long". Worst case, someone is silly with their number of prepends, we don't see their route. I can't say how long I've been doing this...it predates our rancid setup, which means >6 years. Though it's caused numerous dropped routes, it hasn't generated a single complaint.

In your opinion, is filtering of BGP routes based on prefix length also a sign of ignorance? Everyone should just be letting all the crap through?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |