nanog mailing list archives

Re: Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:16:00 -0500

From: Steve Meuse > Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:31 AM
To: Michael Loftis
Cc: nanog

Michael Loftis expunged (mloftis () wgops com):

Actually...I'm not sure anywhere has that high of a ratio here in
the
states, at least for wired connectivity.

I would say that's highly dependent on your geographical location. In
Montana I could see that as being true, but not in NYC, for example...

-Steve

I'd say it also depends on the nature of studies at the school, too.  A
general liberal arts school might have different needs than one heavy on
science and engineering.  Throw in some specialized resource like a
radio telescope or nuclear research lab and it changes even more as
those research data are shared among other collaborators at other
institutions.

It also depends on how much file-sharing the students are doing...