nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:20:47 -0500

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer () mauigateway com> wrote:
And so, "...the first principle of our proposed new network architecture: Layers are recursive."

: Anyone who has bridged an ethernet via a TCP based
: IPSec tunnel understands that layers are recursive.

WRT the paper I'm having trouble correlating what you say with their
notion of recursive layer network communications.
 It seems apples and oranges

Hi Scott,

Having skimmed the article and some of its predecessors, I find it
hard to determine whether there's any correlation. REALLY hard.

http://www.ionary.com/PSOC-MovingBeyondTCP.pdf

: John Day has been chasing this notion long enough to write three
: network stacks. If it works and isn't obviously inferior in its
: operational resource consumption, where's the proof-of-concept code?

TINOS will provide the underlying platform and execution
environment upon which a RINA prototype can be developed.

"will provide"
"can be developed"

the "CBA prototype" link being:
http://www.tssg.org/4WARD/2010/07/component_based_architecture_n.html

Described in the videos as a clever modeling tool forked off of JNode
which had a plain old TCP/IP stack written in Java.

But what I'm still missing is use of that modeling system to
demonstrate any concepts in Day's plan.