nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 20:58:13 -0500

On 11/6/2010 7:21 PM, George Bonser wrote:

(quote)
Let's take an example: New York to Los Angeles. Round Trip Time (rtt) is
about 40 msec, and let's say packet loss is 0.1% (0.001). With an MTU of
1500 bytes (MSS of 1460), TCP throughput will have an upper bound of
about 6.5 Mbps! And no, that is not a window size limitation, but rather
one based on TCP's ability to detect and recover from congestion (loss).
With 9000 byte frames, TCP throughput could reach about 40 Mbps.

I prefer much less packet loss in a majority of my transmissions, which in turn brings those numbers closer together.

Jack