nanog mailing list archives

Re: Junos Asymmetric Routing

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:15:09 -0500

Ken Gilmour wrote:
Yes I believe that would be the default if the session was initiated on the
inside, but if it comes from outside on a particular interface which is not
the default route, why would the router then send the packet out another
interface? Should the device not route session-based traffic according to
where it originated?

To my knowledge, routers don't generally route based on session. They maintain flow information is cases, but you learn quickly that it's a one way record, and the corresponding flows may have a different path.

There are exceptions, and perhaps some Junipers even support more oddball session based routing, though my m120 and cisco don't seem to.

Jack