nanog mailing list archives

Re: Junos Asymmetric Routing

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:40:08 -0500

On 5/27/2010 18:27, Ken Gilmour wrote:
Hi all,

I have a very peculiar situation here that i seem to have difficulty
explaining in such a way for people to understand. I just got off the phone
to the Juniper Devs after about 4 hours with no result. They understand the
problem but can't seem to think of a working solution (last solution led to
the primary firewall hard crashing and then failing over after a commit
(which also makes me wonder what made the primary crash and not the
secondary)). I am wondering if there is anyone "creative" on the list who
has encountered and worked around this problem before...

Here goes *sigh*

ISP1 - 1.1.1.0/24
ISP2 - 2.2.2.0/24

ISP1 is the default gateway, ISP2 is a backup provider but which is always
active. Client comes in on ISP1's link, traffic goes back out on ISP1s link.
Client comes in on ISP2's link (non default gateway) but for some reason,
the packets seem to be going back out through the link for ISP1.

With the default gateway, that is the behaviour I would expect--I don't
see how the router could do otherwise.  (This assumes that source
routing is not being used.)

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca