nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSP-SEC

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:33:38 -0400

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:08:55 CDT, Adam Stasiniewicz said:
IMHO, I think you have it backwards.  I see strategic discussions (like
new crypto algorithms, technologies, initiatives, etc) should be open to
public debate, review, and scrutiny.  But operational/tactical discussions
(like new malware, software exploits, virus infected hosts, botnets, etc)
don't need public review.

Reducto ad absurdum: The police don't usually phone ahead to a suspect and say
"We're planning to stop by around 4PM and execute a search warrant, so please
don't destroy any evidence before then, ktxbai"