nanog mailing list archives

RE: Finding content in your job title

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:45:04 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Bertrand [mailto:steve () ibctech ca]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:15 PM
To: nanog () nanog org >> nanog list
Subject: Finding content in your job title

How does the ops community feel about using this designation? Is it
intrusive or offensive to those who hold real engineering degrees? I'm
content with 'network manager', given that I still do perform (in my
sleep) numerous system tasks and have to sometimes deal with
front-line
helpdesk stuff.

I don't think it matters so much what you call yourself, but what job
role are you filling in the corporate org chart?  You might not be a
degreed engineer but if you are serving as the company's "Network
Engineer" then that is what you are.  I would say that would go as long
as the title is on a company business card and not a personal card.  I
would say that I would use the term "engineer" on a personal card only
if I were an engineer in my field of practice by certification or
degree.  In a company, though, my title is the role I fill within the
organization.

I tend to prefer the "architect" designation mainly because it describes
what I really do.  I design the network, specify the equipment, get it
all running, and am then happy to turn over the day to day operation to
someone else provided there is a someone else to do it.  My title within
my organization is Senior Network Engineer but I personally see my role
as Senior Network Architect and is what I would put on a personal card
and is how I "self identify".

George