nanog mailing list archives

Re: Posting from freebie E-mail Accounts

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:41:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Steve Bertrand wrote:

On 2010.03.30 23:42, Andrew D Kirch wrote:

I am proposing that the NANOG administration drop everything originating
from commonly used webmail providers,

I oppose this proposal.

There are very legitimate (and legal) reasons why people may want to
post to an operational list, using an address that can not tie them to
the location or business that they are posting from.

This list does not see much spam (or at least I don't). That said, let
the list maintainers decide.

I would much prefer if EVERYBODY used freebie email accounts as opposed to their corporate ones, as this would make it more likely that they would quote "correctly" and we would get less silly legal disclaimers and out of office messages.

I don't use my work account for any mailing lists because it's totally useless for that purpose. I also will participate in these mailing lists regardless of my employer, thus I never understood why someone would want to post from their corporate accounts.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se