nanog mailing list archives

Re: Finding content in your job title

From: Steve Bertrand <steve () ibctech ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:26:17 -0400

On 2010.03.30 23:20, Jorge Amodio wrote:
I'd say that probably around here for those like me that have been in
operations/engineering management positions we don't give a squat
about what title your biz card says you have, your actions and
performance speak by themselves.

There are no kings around here so titles most of the time are worthless.

By asking what title may impress others is sort of a -1 to start.

It isn't about impression.

I'd put 'janitor' on my business card for all I really care.

I know what I love to do, and I know what I am great at. 10 years in the
industry now. The only person who I try to impress is myself... by
staying current on BCP and better ways to do things.

My curiosity has the best of me, so I am looking for opinions. You have
one ;)

Those who know me know what I can do, and in reality, that is all I care
about. I'm not out to impress anyone. I just want to be a good netizen
like the rest.

Impression isn't what I'm after. What I'm curious about is the potential
over-use of the term 'engineer'.

Cheers,

Steve