nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP4 Space

From: Antonio Querubin <tony () lava net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:10:34 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Thomas Magill wrote:

1.        Why don't providers use /31 addresses for P2P links?  This
works fine per rfc 3021 but nobody seems to believe it or use it.  Are
there any major manufacturers out there that do not support it?

2.       Longer than /24 prefixes in global BGP table.  The most obvious
answer is that some hardware may not handle it...  How is that hardware
going to handle an IP6 table then?  I have had several occasions where
functionally I needed to advertise for different sites but only needed
20-30 addresses which is a complete waste of a /24.  How hard would it
be to start allowing /25s when compared to trying to roll out IP6?

I think these qualify to be in an IPv6 FAQ if they're not already :)

Antonio Querubin
808-545-5282 x3003
e-mail/xmpp:  tony () lava net