nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Update Report

From: Anton Kapela <tkapela () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:00:55 -0400

Joe,

The problem is that unless one is holding customer routes in a
seperate VRF and dampen them there or take similar steps to
segment, dampening leads directly to blackholes.  Even in that
case, failover within that VRF wouldn't work, as all
implementations I've seen attack the prefix as the problem instead
of the path vector. Bye-bye alternate paths.

I guess what I'm hinting at is precisely something finer-grained (path not prefix), as you suggest. Per-neighbor
enabled, versus "entire bgp RIB" would be preferred. I'm also interested in the *chronic* nature of these apparent
instabilities. An average of one flap per minute could imply that the end-site is not getting allot of useful TCP
moved, and as such, after something on the (n)-hour timescale, perhaps it's worth suppressing it.

So, I'd ask for a long-timescale dampening function, indexed against per-path, and enforced per neighbor. Perhaps
as-path lists could be combined with relaxed timers on existing implementations to achieve this today (in a VRF
target/context).

-Tk