nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:59:00 -0700

On Jun 9, 2010, at 2:05 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:

On 6/9/2010 15:56, Owen DeLong wrote:

On Jun 9, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

On 6/9/10 6:27 AM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
Going back then to a previous question, do we want more/any regulation ?

Laws and regulation exist because people can't behave civilly and be expected to respect the
rights/boundries/property others.

CAN-SPAM exists because the e-mail marketing business refused to self regulate and respect the wishes of
consumers/administrators

Which is good, because it certainly eliminated most of the SPAM. -- NOT!

It is actually an outstanding example of something of something I spoke
of here earlier.

Without any exception that I know of, regulations are written to protect
the entrenched.  CAN-SPAM was written to protect spammers, not to
prevent anything important to them.

Actually, as much as it would make so much more sense if that were the
case, it simply isn't true.  CAN-SPAM was written to be a compromise that
was supposed to allow consumers to opt out of receiving SPAM and
prevent SPAMMERs from sending unwanted messages.

Sadly, of course, it hasn't done either one.

Owen

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca