nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP Responsibilities [WAS: Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers]

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:36:31 -0500

On 6/9/2010 10:58, Owen DeLong wrote:

What happened to the acronyms "AUP" and "TOS"?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I'm talking about an ISPs liability to
third party victims, not to their customers.

"Acceptable Use Policy" and "Terms of Service"

AUP/TOS are between the ISP and their customer.

Very good.  Does that provide an answer to the earlier question about
"what is a provider to do?" when a customer misbehaves?  Does that
provide a method for assigning liability?

I am not a lawyer, but it doesn't seem a stretch to me to include, in
this context, traffic from peers and transit providers.
--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca