nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:15:01 -0700

On Jun 9, 2010, at 6:09 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

Once upon a time, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio () gmail com> said:
That's why at least in the US by *regulation* you must have insurance
to be able to operate a car, instead of mitigating the safety issues
that represents a teenager texting while driving we deal with the
consequences.

The insurance requirement is a state-by-state thing.  It was only added
here a few years ago, and I don't think it is universal.

I believe at least 48, if not 50 states now have compulsory financial
responsibility laws.

However, even if you didn't have insurance, that never exempted you
from liability, it just made you less likely to be able to meet your
obligations under that liability.

Owen