nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP convergence problem

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 04:09:42 +0200

* globichen () gmail com (Andy B.) [Tue 08 Jun 2010, 16:28 CEST]:
I finally decided to shut down all peerings and brought them back one by one.

Sadly that's often the way it has to be done, modulo mild tweaks.

Everything is stable again, but I don't like the way I had to deal with it since it will most likely happen again when DECIX or an other IX we're at is having issues.

As others have said upthread in more polite wordings, get a better router if yours can't handle the load. (Or use the route servers more - it's what they're there for.)

I've seen a few BGP convergence discussions on NANOG, but none about deadlock situations and what could be done to avoid them. Setting higher MTU or bigger hold queues did not help.

I hope you didn't change the MTU to anything different from what everybody else on the DE-CIX Peering LAN uses - that only leads to suffering.

        -- Niels.

--
"It's amazing what people will do to get their name on the internet, which is odd, because all you really need is a Blogspot account."
                        -- roy edroso, alicublog.blogspot.com