nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vyatta as a BRAS

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:44:11 +0000

On Jul 14, 2010, at 10:17 PM, Joe Greco wrote:

The truth is that you can keep throwing CPU at a problem as well.  I can size a software based router such that it
can remain available.

Not against mpps, or even high kpps, you can't, unfortunately.

Software based platforms have an incredible edge in areas that hardware based platforms don't, including capex and
the ability to find replacement parts after a disaster.

I agree 100% with this, and with much of what you say.  My point is that at the *edge* - like a BRAS, which is how this
thread started - one must have platforms which can be adequately protected against attack/abuse, and hardware-based
platforms are the only practical way to do that.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken