nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vyatta as a BRAS

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:05:09 -0400

On 7/13/2010 2:56 AM, Truman Boyes wrote:
On 13/07/2010, at 4:50 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

On Jul 13, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Sharef Mustafa wrote:

do you recommend it?

My comment would be that a software-based BRAS - 7200, Vyatta, et. al. - is no longer viable in today's Internet, and
hasn't been for years, due to security/availability concerns.  Same for peering/transit edge, customer aggregation edge, et.
al.

Roland Dobbins<rdobbins () arbor net>  //<http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken
  A low cost 7200 or ERX-310 would easily fit the bill, and you can buy them cheap these days.

Cisco may be a lot of things, but low cost is not one of them.

I've been running Vyatta on a small 1U Supermicro Server (cost $600.00) for over one year. It handles all of our VPN traffic and is the main router for our fiber connection. Except for dropping a tunnel every now and then its been flawless. I've set up a cron job to monitor the VPN and restart any tunnel that might drop. No tunnel is ever down for more than a minute.

router:~# uptime
 11:01:52 up 377 days, 17:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

--Curtis