nanog mailing list archives

Re: Enhancing automation with network growth

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:29:41 +1100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:52:39PM -0500, Erik L wrote:
One thing that would take a major load off would be if my MRTG system
could simply update its config/index files for itself, instead of me
having to  do it on each and every port change.

Can anyone offer up ideas on how you manage any automation in this
regard for their infrastructure gear traffic graphs?
(Commercial options
welcome, off-list, but we're as small as our budget is).

Not sure how you're doing your graphs currently, but have you considered Cacti?

If automating MRTG config is hard, automating Cacti config is about as close
to "impossible" as one can get without popping around to the Augean stables.

- Matt