nanog mailing list archives

Re: Enhancing automation with network growth

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:13:34 -0600

On 20/01/10 21:54 -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
Can anyone offer up ideas on how you manage any automation in this
regard for their infrastructure gear traffic graphs? (Commercial options
welcome, off-list, but we're as small as our budget is).

Unless something else is out there that I've missed, I'm seriously
considering writing up a module in Perl to put up on the CPAN that can
scan my RANCID logs (and perhaps the devices directly for someone who
doesn't use RANCID), send an aggregate 'are these changes authorized'
email to an engineer, and then proceed to execute the proper commands
within the proper MRTG directories if the engineer approves.

I use a mix of Cisco/FreeBSD&Quagga for routers, and Cisco/HP for
switches, so it is not as simple as throwing a single command at all
configs.

OpenNMS works great, but has a steeper learning curve than MRTG. It
supports auto discovery of devices, and can pull interface statistics for
all new devices/interfaces automatically.

I'm graphing all interfaces on around 4 dozen Cisco switches and
routers and various other devices on one fairly beefy Linux box.

It also has a RANCID integration module, which I haven't had a chance to
play with yet.

it is not as simple as throwing a single command at all configs

Actually it is that simple. As long as the device supports the IF-MIB SNMP
table, then your SNMP system should have little problem discovering all
interfaces. All devices you list above should work, assuming you've got
net-snmp running on the freebsd box.

--
Dan White