nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP testbed tools

From: Łukasz Bromirski <lukasz () bromirski net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:13:38 +0100

On 2010-01-12 21:27, Ben Jencks wrote:
This is obviously a rookie question, but I haven't found anything by
searching. I'm looking to set up a small testbed to simulate our
internal network topology, and I want to have a realistic BGP table
from the fake "upstream" routers. Ideally what I'd like to do is dump
the BGP table from our production routers, strip the immediate
neighbor AS, and load the table into Quagga or OpenBGPD to advertise.
I'm running into two problems: how do you dump BGP tables in a
machine-parseable format from IOS, and how do you make the route
server advertise the routes as they were in the original table,
including the full AS-path, communities, etc? If Quagga/OpenBGPD
aren't the right tools, I'm happy to use something else.

Use libbgpdump from ris.ripe.net to get raw data from
http://data.ris.ripe.net/ (you're looking for newest bview file),
and dump them using bgpdump to something easily to parse. Then
using bgpsimple (from googlecode) simulate a peer with specific
number of prefixes advertised - up to the limit of the contents
of the file. You can spoof next-hop, AS, etc. As for the attribute
manipulation, fire up a couple of VMWare/VirtualBox/vimage instances
with quagga/openbgpd to accept the prefixes from bgpsimple and
mangle them in some manner.

Here you go.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end. |                  Łukasz Bromirski
 If it's not okay, it's not the end. |       http://lukasz.bromirski.net