nanog mailing list archives

Re: SORBS on autopilot?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:37:12 -0500

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:51:47 EST, Jed Smith said:

The vibe I got from a number of administrators I talked to about it was "why
would a standards document assume an IPv4/IPv6 unicast address is a residential
customer with a modem, forcing those with allocations to prove that they are
not residentially allocated rather than the other way around?"

What percent of allocated globally routed IP addresses are residential endpoints,
and what percent are in data centers?  What's the better base assumption if
your goal is "I don't want to talk to address ranges that are full of botted
boxes"?  There's a *reason* why "default deny" is a well-known security policy.