nanog mailing list archives

Re: more inane confidentiality notices, was he.net down/slow?

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 10 Jan 2010 00:50:16 -0500

The point is that rather than try to enforce agreements individually,
automatically slapping the notices on is not so unreasonable all
considered.

While it may be annoying, its not baseless. It certaintly isn't
useless in discovery.

Once again, I would be most interested in any statute or case law to support this claim. I've been involved in a lot of discovery in a lot of cases over the years, and I cannot remember a single instance where a boilerplate confidentiality notice was even noted, much less enforced.

As I said:

In reality, boilerplate confidentiality notices merely document the fact that a mail system is in the grip of the clueless and/or confused.

R's,
John