nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spamhaus...

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:14:02 -0600 (CST)

From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com () nanog org  Fri Feb 19 22:32:48 2010
From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:32:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Spamhaus...
To: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Cc: nanog () nanog org

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net> wrote:
On 2/19/2010 7:20 PM, William Herrin wrote:
"If an SMTP server has accepted the task of relaying the mail and
later finds that the destination is incorrect or that the mail cannot
be delivered for some other reason, then it MUST construct an
"undeliverable mail" notification message and send it to the
originator of the undeliverable mail (as indicated by the
reverse-path)."

Does the RFC say what to do if the reverse-path has been
damaged and now points to somebody who had nothing
what ever to do with the email?

Hi Larry,

Re-reading the paragraph I quoted and you repeated, I'm going to say
that the answer is "yes."

I'll bite.  *HOW* do you send to the _originator_   (as *required* by
the RFC you quoted) of the undeliverable mail,  when the reverse path
points to 'someone else'?

Note well the exact lanugage used -- it does not say 'the party named
in the reverse path',  the 'claimed sender', 'putative sender' or any
other similar equivocation that justifies sending to a forged address.
It says "the originator". To me, that can be only iterpreted in _one_
way. To wit: as the party that _actually_ created and transmitted the
message, _regardless_ of what the declared return path is.

Since such a message is 'defective' (not RFC-compliant -- because the
true point -of-origin is *NOT* in the reverse path, as it MUST be for
an RFC-compliant message) on it's face, I will argue that there is no
need to apply the 'required' handling for a 'proper' message to it.