nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default route with object tracking

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:36:18 -0500

On Feb 1, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com> wrote:

I'd rather send him to something more open like kernel.org;  anything but
Google's DNS.  Google's DNS is a little too nefarious for my taste.

<tinfoil hat off>
nefarious? as a route object to track for selection of a default route? really?
</tinfoil hat off>

I think watching something 'very stable' like.... 198.6.0.0/16 may be
useful, but in the end "pick some route that's long lived and not in
just your upstream's control', that you see via both upstreams." seems
like the best option.

I think that a better word than "nefarious" would be "smart" -- Google's DNS may be doing its own optimizations which
may conflict with your "route that's long lived" constraint.