nanog mailing list archives

Re: CYMRU Bogon Peering

From: Steve Bertrand <steve () ibctech ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:03:12 -0500

Seth Mattinen wrote:
On 2/12/2010 13:47, Tim Wilde wrote:
On 2/12/2010 4:21 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
    I've a question for the CYMRU Team ,  My reasoning for posting here
is to get a much wide knowledge base .
    Does or Is the 'Bogon Peering' Product(?) ,  Only at the IANA->RIR
allocations level ?   F.E.:  IANA has allocated 1.0.0.0/8 to RIPE .
    Or
    Does the product also include the actual remaining non-allocated
space at the RIR->EU level ? (**)   F.E: RIPE has allocated 1.0.1.0/24
to anubusstupidity, inc.
Jim & All,

The current bogon reference projects we have available only include the
first of your examples - netblocks which have not been allocated by IANA
to an RIR.  However, we are currently in a beta testing phase of a
similar feed which also includes netblocks that have not yet been
allocated or assigned by the RIRs.  We will also be offering the same
type of bogon feed for IPv6, something we've been asked about quite a
bit recently!

While I have your attention, I've noticed there's been a bit of
instability lately with the BGP sessions (in fact one of mine right now
is down). With 30 routes it's not a big deal to have frequent churn, but
if you're going to expand that to a larger feed then it could become a
problem.

What time frame do you determine to be instability? The following is
from a box that has ~25 neighbours. Since the box was reloaded (6w3d
ago), I've had the same uptime with the Team Cymru neighbours as I do
with internal gear. I can't say that I've experienced any instability at
all. It is not uncommon for me to have noticed uptimes well beyond 30w.

trig-2#sh ip bgp sum

Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd
68.22.187.24    4 65333   81750   65849       67    0    0 6w3d           30
216.165.129.196 4 65333   81748   65849       67    0    0 6w3d           30

trig-2#sh ip bgp nei 68.22.187.24

  Prefix activity:               ----       ----
    Prefixes Current:               0         30 (Consumes 1560 bytes)
    Prefixes Total:                 0         36
    Implicit Withdraw:              0          0
    Explicit Withdraw:              0          6

...snip...

  Connections established 1; dropped 0
  Last reset never

Steve