nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux Router distro's with dual stack capability

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:46:13 -0800

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:20:13 -0500
From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:12:03PM -0600, William Pitcock wrote:
On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 13:05 -0500, Jack Carrozzo wrote:
Lots of people roll FreeBSD with Quagga/pf/ipfw for dual stack. See
the freebsd-isp list.

FreeBSD's network stack chokes up in DDoS attacks due to interrupt
flooding.  We used to use FreeBSD for firewalling and basic routing, but
when noticing that we had horizontal scalability (e.g. a Celeron 667mhz
performed nearly as well as a dual dual-core Xeon system when DDoS
attacks happened), we switched to Vyatta, and generally have not looked
back.

Have you tried using FreeBSD's polling mode instead of interrupt mode?

No experience with it myself, but it sounds cool:

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/polling/

Polling is excellent for low speed lines, but for Gig and faster, most
newer interfaces support interrupt coalescing. This easily resolves the
issue in hardware as interrupts are only issued when needed but limited
to a reasonable rate, Polling does not use interrupts, but consumes
system resources regardless of traffic.

FreeBSD has supported polling for a long time (V6?) and interrupt
coalescing since some release of V7. (Latest release is V8.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)