nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux Router distro's with dual stack capability

From: Marty Anstey <marty.anstey () sunwave net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:28:21 -0800

William Pitcock wrote:
FreeBSD's network stack chokes up in DDoS attacks due to interrupt
flooding.  We used to use FreeBSD for firewalling and basic routing, but
when noticing that we had horizontal scalability (e.g. a Celeron 667mhz
performed nearly as well as a dual dual-core Xeon system when DDoS
attacks happened), we switched to Vyatta, and generally have not looked
back.

William

Which version of FreeBSD and how much traffic/pps?

I believe that there has been significant improvements to the networking
stack in recent versions of FreeBSD, plus there are also a lot of sysctl
tunables which can significantly improve networking performance. I have
a hard time believing that the networking performance of recent versions
of FreeBSD would not be competitive in comparison to other unixes.

-M