nanog mailing list archives

Re: Want to move to all 208V for server racks

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:38:22 -0800

On 12/2/10 8:30 AM, Jay Nakamura wrote:
you mean 240V AC 50HZ and move from 120V 60Hz? (or also 50Hz)

In US, I think everything is 60Hz.  But I mean 208v single phase.
(Which is what you get when you combine two 120v single phase legs out
of three phase, I believe.  I am not an expert on AC...)

Correct, a L-N connection will get you 120V, a L-L connection will get
you 208V. Everything in the US is 60Hz.

you will need to check each device if it supports 240V, commonly the
specified power ratings are printed at a stricker on the device itself.

I have even been looking at USB HD AC adapter and all other odd ball
equipment and I always see the label say "100~240v AC".  Dell's old
rack mount monitor/KB from 5 years ago even supports 208v (Just wrong
connector.)

The vast majority of power adapters are switching these days and will
run up to 240, it's when they have built in NEMA 1-15 or 5-15 prongs
that you have to overcome.

~Seth