nanog mailing list archives

Re: Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:38:27 -0600

On 12/8/2010 10:28 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

Application-layer attacks aside, most packet-flooding attacks these
days don't completely fill links, as there's no need for the attacker
to do so.

I think the difference here is scale. packet-flooding attacks often do
fill links; if the links drop to 155mb/s or below. I've seen some gig+ DOS, but that is less common. The DOS I posted a flow capture link for wasn't that large, but enough to flood out the little DS3 going to the small town where the target DSL customers was.

Jack